Tuesday, August 11, 2009
This baby elephant was trapped in the manhole of a drainage ditch. The elephant was with its owner working on a street in eastern Thailand when the accident occurred. Bulldozers were used to widen the drain's hole so the rescuers could lift him out properly.
It took the rescue team three hours to release Smelly, who came out of the whole situation unharmed.
Monday, August 10, 2009
According to recent studies, man's best friend has the IQ similar to that of a 2-year old. Most average dogs can learn around 165 words. Although some dogs might even be able to get up around the 250 mark. Not all dogs are the same though, some breeds are smarter than others and Border Collies seem to be at the top of the list. Following the border collie in order are poodles, German shepherds, golden retrievers, dobermans, Shetland sheepdogs, and finally Labrador retrievers.
Both dogs and 2-year olds experience anger, fear, happiness, and disgust. Apparently dogs can correct you if you can't add one plus one and can count up to four or five.
About once every week, I plan on making a small list of interesting facts about all sorts of different animals.
- A hippo can run faster than a man
- A panda's diet is 99% bamboo
- Elephants are the only animal that can not jump
- A rhinoceros' horn is made of keratin, the same protein our nails and hair are made from
- During World War II, Americans tried to train bats to drop bombs
- Pandas in China were given Viagra to help them mate
- It takes 3000 cows to supply the NFL with enough leather for a year's supply of footballs
- Most elephants weigh less than the tongue of the blue whale
- Americans spend more money on dog food each year, than they do on baby food
- Giraffes can clean their ears with their tongue, which is half a metre long
Sunday, August 9, 2009
On Thursday, a mouse was discovered inside an ATM at an Oregon gas station. Apparently the mouse used two $20 bills to make his nest and another 14 to line it. The bank replaced all the money and the little mouse was set free outside the gas station.